May 31, 2010

Finally in Costa Rica

HOLA!

So it is Day 2 in Costa Rica and it is very different than america.

Day 0-The airport
The whole day seemed like we spent it traveling. Woke up early
to get to the airport. Waited at the airport for three hours. Flew
two and a half hours to Miami. Wait at Miami for two hours. Then
fly three more hours to Costa Rica. Once you get to Costa Rica you
get on a bus and they drive you to immigration and customs. Once
through there you can get your bags. I had several bags that were
very heavy. I then had about a 45 min drive to my house. This seemed
like longer only because we had 5 suitcases and many other small bags
to fit in my mothers car. There was barely any room that my roommate
and I were sitting on each others laps.

The first thing that I observed is that driving is very different in Costa
Rica. It is similar to Mexico. (He who honks first has the right of way.)
It was defiantly a scary situation. I also observed that the family life is
different. The houses seem more close compared to america where you
have two story houses that you never see one another. Everything is also
done as a family.

Day 1-First real day
Woke up and started unpacking and moving in. Madre made breakfast,
it was very good. I am not a huge fan of any kinds of beans though. The
rice, eggs, and juice was very good. All of the juices are made from real
fruit and adding aqua in a mixer and mixing it. After breakfast we started
making everything for lunch party. She makes everything from scratch.
We pulled the spinach, peeled the carrots and garlic. Learned about many
new foods. Mainly fruits. We then had a lot of ANSCOR members come
and introduce themselves and give us tips to Costa Rica. It was very cool.
They stayed for a while just chatting then gave me time to work on my
homework. (Yes I am crazy enough to take an online class while in Costa
Rica.)

Something I noticed was if you are a female you get a hug and kiss on the
cheek from everyone. If you are a male you hug the females and kiss them
on the cheek but shake other males hands. This is very different then America.
Again the food is different than america making everything by hand and not
having things come ready in boxes. (I think that may just be my family that
does the already made things.)

Day 2-Monday
Today has been a very busy day! We had breakfast and then went to the bank
and changed money. It was hard because they didn't have anyone that signed nor
spoke english. My mother ended up having a 45 min debate with the manager
about how it needs to better fit our needs. They have no suggestions that can
benefit us though. I find this interesting because in America, at least Texas, they
have one staff member that speaks Spanish. We also met my "grandmother,"
"aunts" and "nephews." I also had an opportunity to go and sit in on Fabian's
college class about families and communities. This class was all special education
majors. It was very interesting because these students want to work with different
disabilities and barely know any lesco. You would think they would want to know
more. They are not exposed to it enough. The classes were fully in Spanish making
it very hard for me to understand. Maybe at the end of the 10 weeks I can understand
better. After that my Madre invited some friends over and we talked, looked at
pictures, and listened to music of some old students that are now in a band.
They were very good and very nice to us. They have invited us to join them for
other events and to watch them while we are in Costa Rica. :)

Thats all for now. More to come later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment